Sunday, May 6, 2007

Mini Marathon


For some crazy reason, I decided to sign up for the Indy One America Mini Marathon which is a half marathon (13.1 miles). My training schedule started out great in January but then I got a little off track in February and March. Oh well, I decided to run it anyways and the big day was yesterday. Luckily I had some friends who to run it with which was a big help to keep motivated (that and the other 29,000! people who completed it). The picture shows my friends Ruth, Christy and Ruth's daughter Mary. Ruth's husband was watching at about mile 5.5 and he and Mary very nicely brought us some much needed Advil (see Mary's right hand) at that point. My main goal was to complete the half marathon which I did and would estimate I ended up walking about 15 minutes of it. I feel great that it's done but am now walking around like an old woman! Some of the highlights in the Marathon was part of the course included the Indianapolis Speedway, which I've never been to before, the cups of beer they passed out at mile 10.5 (delicious but I have to say I felt a little nauseated afterwards) and the fact that the weather was pretty much perfect!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! I'm the first one to comment on your half marathon! I got tired just reading about it. I don't run good anymore (or at all) I'm glad you got to run through the race track, that rocks. I've been to some Nascar races and I've only seen Indy from the air, never been at it. Anyways, here's a surprise blog from your old man cousin Troy in SD. (oh nice, it says "anonymous said" on the top)

Anonymous said...

Naomi, we're all impressed that you did this run. We bought our black lab to keep us active but so far we are in no better shape since having her around. She is the one true jock in our family.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the run! I've been working back up to 12 miles a week (rather than in a day). The last big run I did was the Living History Farms run. Very cool about running on the Indianapolis Speedway!!!

Unknown said...

I am impressed. I hope all is well. Congrats on the 1/2 marathon.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you. I bet you're addicted now.

Cari said...

Nice work Nomers! I'm so glad that worked out for you. You look amazingly happy in the picture. Hope all is well with you.

Theresa said...

how did i end up with all these runner friends? apparently it is contagious among murray lab folks (though i appear to have escaped unscathed...not that i couldn't use the workouts...)
very very impressive, my dear! take good care of your aching legs.